Weekly Verses : 7th February 2011 to 13th February 2011



Let those who love the Lord hate evil, for he guards the lives of his faithful ones and delivers them from the hand of the wicked. Psalm 97:10 New International Version


THOUGHTS ABOUT TODAY'S VERSE...Hate -- what a bold and powerful word. We must not hate people. We must hate evil. It's a tough combination to pull off, but absolutely vital. Evil is here because of the Evil One -- the champion of hate, lies, and death. So when evil rears its ugly head, let's be courageous and oppose Satan and his work. In the process, let's pray for those trapped in its tentacles, even if they consider us enemies.


MY PRAYER...Almighty God, make my heart pained by the evil in my world. Give me a holy revulsion to things opposed to your will and character. Yet Father, just as You redeemed me by grace, and rescued me while a captive to sin, give me courage to care about those who are in the Evil One's embrace. Through my Savior I pray. Amen.


TUESDAY


[Jesus said,] "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:43-45 New International Version


THOUGHTS ABOUT TODAY'S VERSE...We often talk about the privileges of being a child of God - forgiveness, salvation, a future in heaven with him, the gift of the Holy Spirit, and ultimate victory when Christ comes. One of the greatest privileges we get, however, is the opportunity to act toward those who dislike and hate us in a way that reflects the character of God himself. Anyone can return hate for hate, but it takes a child of God to return a blessing and a prayer for their enemies.


MY PRAYER...Father, thank you for loving me when I was still an enemy to you. Thank you for risking the death of your Son to offer me the chance to accept or reject your love. As you have promised, please pour your love into my heart so I may love even my enemies as you have loved me. Through Jesus, the gift of your love, I pray. Amen.



WEDNESDAY


We ought always to thank God for you, brothers, and rightly so, because your faith is growing more and more, and the love every one of you has for each other is increasing. 2 Thessalonians 1:3 New International Version


THOUGHTS ABOUT TODAY'S VERSE..."Increase my faith, O Lord." "Increase my strength." "Increase my wisdom." We often pray for these things, but when is the last time you thanked God for your love increasing? Can you think of anything more exciting to say about your church than "The love every one of you has for each other is increasing!" Lets pray and act to make it so!


MY PRAYER...Holy God, may your love so fill us that I share it with others who call on your name. May this love grow and increase in my life so others may readily see its benefits and recognize that it is a direct response to your lavish love shared with me. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.



THURSDAY


If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. 1 Corinthians 13:1-3 New International Version


THOUGHTS ABOUT TODAY'S VERSE...Love - in the week before Valentine's Day we want to remember the real meaning of love. Without the motivation and expression of love, all "Christian" activities are more "activity" than Christian. Love is the expression of Christ's character and presence in our lives through deeds done for others.


MY PRAYER...Loving Heavenly Father, thank you so much for your demonstration of love in Jesus. Help me to love as he did - selflessly, sacrificially, and consistently, so others may know of your love through my actions. In Jesus Name I pray. Amen.



FRIDAY Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 1 Corinthians 13:4-5New International Version


THOUGHTS ABOUT TODAY'S VERSE...Love does not focus on me, but on others. Each of these qualities of love is based upon an affectionate, compassionate, and forgiving attitude that regards others of value and not just self. No wonder the old saying goes "The middle of sIn is a big I!"


MY PRAYER...Holy God and Sacrificial Father, teach me to notice others and value them just as you do. I know you loved me when I was not lovable, and redeemed me when I was not worthy. Help me to take my eyes off myself and see others as you see them. Through Jesus I pray. Amen.



SATURDAY Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 1 Corinthians 13:6-7New International Version


THOUGHTS ABOUT TODAY'S VERSE...Always love - pretty tall order and pretty tough stuff. Only God is "always." But then Christians are fueled to a always love through the Holy Spirit! Check out the promised source of "always" love in Romans 5:5.


MY PRAYER...Sweet and Glorious God on High, I humble myself before you, recognizing your boundless power to love, the incredible need for love in the lives of those around me, and my limited ability to love. Please pour your Holy Spirit into my heart and fill me with the power to love as you do, always. In Jesus' sweet name I pray. Amen.



SUNDAY For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16New International Version


THOUGHTS ABOUT TODAY'S VERSE...Did you know the Bible doesn't just say, "God loves you?" Now don't let me confuse you, it does say God loves us many times, but each time it does, it shows us that love as well. God loved us so much time he didn't just say I love you with a valentine, he showed he loved us by sending his Son!


MY PRAYER...Loving and almighty God, thank you for loving me. Thank you for both saying it and showing it. Please know, dear Father, I love you, too! Accept my words and actions today as a testimony to my love. Through Jesus I pray. Amen.