Daily Devotion : 24th January 2011

Extracted from Our Daily Journey 2011 Jan 24 article
Author: Winn Collier
Verse to read: Numbers 21:4-9
Key Verse: Numbers 21: 8
- Make a replica of a poisonous snake and attach it to a pole. All who are bitten will live if they simply look at it !
........................................................................................
Each year around Easter, my wife and I choose something for the other to give up. Last year,Miska surrendered chocolate...but for me she chose....fear. That was a difficult one- it's not like you can clean fear out of the cupboard. I discovered, however, that my fear is one way(among many) that I obsess over myself, getting lost in my inner world, deciphering all my valid( or invalid) feelings. All my inner-gazing keeps me from looking up to Jesus, the Only One able to heal my distress.
.........................................................................................

During Israel's wandering years, the people complained against God, believing they would "die in the wilderness"( Numbers 21:5). Their temptation, as usual, was to take matters in their own hands, to forge a forbidden alliance or construct a false God or concoct plans for a return to Egypt.
..........................................................................................

But God, in righteous wrath, used poisonous snakes to bring His people to their senses. God had Moses construct a bronze serpent and raise it high on a pole. After being bitten by snakes, the people simply had to " look at the bronze snake and be healed !"( v9). If they looked to themselves or to their neighbour- even to Moses-they would die. But,if the people would look upward to their gift from God, they would gain life.
..........................................................................................
The temptation to look inward offers quite an allure. It makes us feel as if we're in control. This seductive part sabotages our humble posture of coming-broken and in need of mercy-to our Redeemer. Jesus had come because we are bankrupt, not because we are managing nicely on our own.

Reflections: What are you most tempted to look to yourself for help? What would happen if you look to Jesus instead?

Bible Verse Reference : Isaiah 61: 1-3 ; 10-11 , Luke 4:14-19, John 3:14-15

May we all look to Jesus today

In Jesus name Amen.